Thursday, June 9, 2016

GTD Tools

Since I am always on the move, the tools that I choose to utilize in my GTD journey have to be ultra mobile, extremely easy to input data and accessible almost anywhere (both online and offline).

I am considering the following 4 tools for this process:

  1. Microsoft Outlook 2013: This is the tool that I get the majority of my "work" information through, so it only makes sense to see if I can utilize it for this process.  It will be a bit of a challenge at first to separate "Tasks" & "Projects" from the "Reference" emails, but its something that I working on in my head to figure out the best way to implement.  This also carries over to my mobile device seamlessly via Nine Mail for android (although I'm not convinced ont he Task capabilities as of yet of Nine). I know there are some GTD plugins and some setup guides for Outlook, but at moment I want to try and setup everything as simply as possible. Once I am more involved in the method I can look for specific plugins / add-ons that will address the specific issues / needs that I have.
  2. EverNote: Is a great tool and would (at least the paid version) would probably fit everything that I will require, but I really do not like the desktop client for this software.  Also, since this is another peiece of software that I will have to open to enter tasks (there is an email into option) and review what tasks need to be completed there is a chance of it not being reviewed as regular as it should be.  If Outlook wont fit the bill I will probably move to EverNote.
  3. doit.im (http://doit.im/) is built on the GTD method so everything thing is already there for you.  My major concern with this tool will be the ease of getting tasks into it and logging into it regularly from my desktop to review the tasks at hand.  If I do move to a more dedicated task, project & goal management platform doit.im will probably be the one.
  4. Wunderlist: When I first started the Getting Things Done book, I was 100% convinced that I was going to use Wonderlist for this process, but after seeing doit.im, there really is no comparison between the 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment