Friday, June 10, 2016

GTD Step 1 - The Mind Dump

This was the part of the process I was least looking forward to, but it turned out to be pretty easy and quite eye opening on how much I have commented to / planned to get done.

I spent about 45 minutes entering "Projects" directly into Outlook (decided to go this way to start) then took a short break and sat out on my deck with pen and paper and continued to write out projects for another hour.

Once everything was written out I spent about 30 minutes entering the paper based "Projects" into outlook and creating "Tasks" for projects that had next steps that I could do (did a number of 2 Minute Rule Tasks as well)

Here is the final counts from the mind dump and existing current projects / tasks:

Projects


  • 107 .@Projects
  • 94 .Home Projects
  • 58 .Mike 2.0 Projects (Self Improvement / Vacations / Etc)
  • 3 MRA Projects
  • 16 Someday

Tasks:


  • 77 @@NextActions
  • 30 @@WaitingOn
  • 26 @Computer
  • 17 @Errands
  • 51 @Home
  • 5 @MRA
  • 18 @MYSCA

Ok... that is a lot of stuff to get done, but it is stuff I already had to get done, now its just all in one place and organized so I can attack it without having to worry if I have missed anything.

I still haven't processed my physical In Tray, which I am sure will create a pile more projects & tasks that will be added to my lists, but for now this is a good start.

My plan is to finish processing the physical In Tray before my first weekly review, but if I don't get around to it, it can wait (it has waited list long, whats another couple of days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment