Monday, June 13, 2016

GTD Step 2 - Processing my Email Inbox

Because the number if unread emails now topped 1,800 I decided to see if I could rip through processing them in 2 to 3 hours (I was travailing and had a couple hours in a hotel room before my first meeting) before I processed the my In Tray (which was back in my home office, so I couldn't address it until I returned)

Using the 2 Minute Rule, where if an action will take less than 2 minutes to complete you should (or must) do it immediately or else create a next action task for it, I started reviewing each email, newest to oldest, replying to, creating a task or moving the email into a folder called "Reference Emails" (which I plan to go through later and create some sort of folder structure).

Not surprisingly, id say 90% of the email in my inbox had no action / next step tied to it, it was just there for reference.

I did how ever end up with the following:
 - Replied to 45 emails (2 Minute Rule).
 - Created 5 Next Action Tasks.
 - Had over 50 emails where I was Waiting On someone else.
 - Moved 18 emails to a folder called "Review Later", mostly blog articles / videos.
 - Deleted 300+ emails with no values.
 - 28 emails that I need to unsubscribe from.

GTD - My Inbox Empty - Step 2 Processing your inboxWhen I was all said and done, I now only had 18 emails in my Inbox (those emails that had arrived while I was processing the rest of them) which I was able to process quickly and for the first time that I can remember, I had an Inbox down to zero emails (3 more came in while I was taking the screen shot, which will be processed later when I have time)


No comments:

Post a Comment