Thursday, June 9, 2016

GTD - Outlook Lists Setup


Ok the next step before Processing my In Trays and email Inbox is to setup Outlook Categories as my GTD Lists

To start with I am gong with the following:
    - 10 Task Lists
    - 5 Project Lists

The difference between a project and a task is a task is a next action that would complete that task and a project is something that would require multiple tasks to complete.

I'm sure this will change / expand / contract over the next couple of weeks, but here is a breakdown of my "Lists" and the naming convention I believe I will end up using.

Lists:

1) @@NextActions:  This will be my list of next physical actions that can be completed anywhere and anytime.  I went with the double @ to ensure it was at the top of the Lists list.

Examples of @@NextActions:
  • Review and Post next GTD Blog post
  • Email customer about issue resolution
2) @@WaitingOn: This is my list of items I am waiting on actions from for other people.  I plan to BCC myself on any email that requires someone else to act on, then I can create a Task with that email as an attachment to ensure I have the right info associated with the task.

Examples of @@WaitingOn tasks:
  • Name - Action - Date
  • Bob - Create document for client X - June 7, 2016
3) @Agendas:  This is supposed to be used for notes on upcoming meetings, not sure if I will actually utilize this one, but created it and will see how it works for me.

4) @Calls: Calls that need to be made, pretty self explanatory.

5) @Errands: Things that need to be done as I am out and about.

6) @Home: Actions related to my ".Home" projects.

Examples of @Home Tasks:
  • Home - Repair - Hang plant
  • Home - Repair - Fix Deck
  • Home - Garden - Weed back garden
  • Home - Organize - Equipment Room
7) @MRA: tasks related to my board position with the Manitoba Ringette Association

8) @MYSCA: Tasks related to MYsock.ca business

9) @Personal: Tasks related to my personal life

Examples of @Personal Tasks:
  • Mike 2.0 - Finance - Review Investments
  • Vacation - Rushing River - Book Campsite
  • Beer - Keg Wheat Beer (use due date)
10) Someday:  Projects / Tasks that I will get around to "Someday"

Examples of Someday:
  • Vacation - China
  • Mike 2.0 - Learn French
  • Beer - Become certified BJCP Beer Judge

Projects:

1) .@Projects: This is a list of current (work related) projects that must be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure I stay 100% on top of.  I used the .@ to ensure it stayed in top of my lists and project lists.

Examples of .@Projects:
  • Client X - RFP
  • Training - Certifications
2) .Home Projects: These are projects related to my house that can include repair and organize.

Examples of .Home Projects:
  • Home - Repair
  • Home - Organize
  • Home - Garden
3) .Mike 2.0 Projects: Mike 2.0 is what I am calling anything that would be considered self improvement or under one of my hobbies.

Examples of .Mike 2.0 Projects:
  • Mike 2.0 - Health
  • Mike 2.0 - Finance
  • Mike 2.0 - Education
4) MRA Projects: These are larger projects that I will be working on for the MRA.

No comments:

Post a Comment