Saturday, July 13, 2013

What I hope to see at VMware 2013

This year it looks like I will be lucky enough to attend my first VMworld Smile

As I have been searching the blogs for session information and the who’s who of the presentations, I started to put together a list of what I hope to see at this years event.

The following are areas that I hope VMware makes major announcements / changes to:

The Horizon Mash Up

With Horizon View (include ThinApp in there), Mirage and Horizon Workspace, VMware has 3 great but only sort of tied together products.

I am really hoping to see Horizon 6.0 announced which will allow for Mirage to deploy and manage ThinApp’s to View Desktops and through the Horizon Workspace along with AppBlast finally being GA and tied into the suite to run apps through a browser.

vCloud Director for EUC

Wouldn't it be cool if end users (with approval of course) could provision their own desktops and / or application suites?  If VMware does announce some sort of Horizon 6.0, I hope it also includes the ability to self provision desktops similar to what is possible with vCloud Director.

Self Tuning Resource Pools (aka DRS on Steroids)

With vCOPS, we now know what is “normal” for our VM Guests and we can also run reports to figure out which ones are Over Provisioned against that normal baseline.  If VMware can take this normal range and automatically decrease or increase the resources that are assigned to a given VM, think of the consolidation ratios we would be able to achieve.

Servers & Desktops in the Same Pool

This one still bugs me.  For VMware to state that it is “best practice” to separate your Server and Desktop workloads onto separate physical hardware controlled by separate vCenter Servers, to me it doesn't make sense since it breaks the whole model of true consolidation.  Today, even with resource reservations and limits, it is a requirement for any large scale VDI deployment to be separated, but if VMware can produce something like the DRS on Steroids, I truly believe that Desktops and Servers should be able to play nicely on the same resources, controlled by the same vCenter server,

I’m not sure if any of this will be addressed at this years VMworld, but i cant wait to be there to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment