Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Horizon Workspace - Deployment Takeaways and Notes

I started deploying the Horizon Workspace .OVA into my home lab last night and came up with a few notes that I would like to bring to everyone’s attention. 

First off, everyone review the VMware Horizon Workspace Reviews Guide before deploying (unfortunately, it was not released when I tried to deploy mine).  It can be found at:

Second, take special note of Table 2: Virtual Appliance Minimum Hardware Requirements of the guide (below):


Notice the massive amount of RAM that is required to run all 5 of the VA’s.  14GB isn’t allot of RAM in a production environment, but my poor little lab only has 16 GBs (which BTW is enough to run 4 Nested ESXi Hosts, 2 VC’s, View Connection and Security Servers, 5 Win 7 VDI desktops, a OpenFiler VSA, a Windows Domain Controller and a Veeam Backup Proxy) which didn't seem to be enough to run these 5 VA’s, a DC and a VC. 

The other thing that you need to take away from this chart is that you will require 5 static IP addresses, which may or may not be an issue in your environment. 

I’ll be rolling back my vRAM in both my DC and my VC tonight and trying the deployment / configuration again this evening, will let you know how it goes once its completed and functional.

@MikeYallits

No comments:

Post a Comment