Monday, November 7, 2011

What I miss about Jail Breaking my iPhone

It’s been a couple of weeks since I moved to the iPhone 4S and I have been running it un-jail broken since day one (conscious effort, not because there isn’t a jail break for this device).
I have to say, I miss a lot of the functionality that was offered through the tweaks in Cydia and really wish Apple would just add them to the base iOS (which is doubtful so I guess I will be jail breaking once it is available).
Here is the list of what I miss most:

The ability to see your mail, appointments, sms messages and others right on the lock screen to me only makes sense.  Notification Center does an OK job of presenting the data to me, but I still have to unlock the phone and “pull-down” the screen, which for a guy who checks his phone 100’s of times a day really adds up.  IntelliScreenX also looks like it will be awesome, but I have not had a chance to actually play with it as of yet.

I miss being able to chance the sound profile of my phone with a few clicks, or even better based on the time of day (or a whole other pile of options).  I like to turn off all mail, sms and app alerts after 10:00 PM but I still need the phone to ring if someone (aka work) calls.  Other things that I didn’t realize I would miss is the ability to set the profile for the Car that turns off Bluetooth and GPS but turns off WiFi and a different profile for the office that turns off Bluetooth but turns on Wifi.

This was a combination of tweaks that allow some great customization of the springboard on your iPhone.  Here are the few that I really miss:
-          5 Icon Dock: why can’t I put 5 icons on my dock, they fit and there are 5 that I use on a regular basis.
-          5 Icon Column:  Again, why am I limited to just 4 icons across my phones screen (combined with GridLock)
-          Hide Labels: I don’t need it to saw Mail below my mail app, I know what it is!!!
-          HidePageDots:  This took away the little dots on the bottom of the screen showing you which page you were on, I think it looked better without it.

Put your icons anywhere on your screen and they stay there, what a great idea.  I personally put 2 icons on the left side, and 2 icons in the right side leaving a row of blank icons right down the middle, which saved me from accidently launching apps when I was trying to swipe to the next page.

Real multitasking for the iPhone, and a great interface to switch between apps. I highly suggest you also use Running Indicator with this tweak so you don’t accidently leave apps running in the background that drain your battery (personal experiences).

Running Indicator (http://tweakweek.com – June 5):
This app shows which apps are still running and gives you a little “X” on the icon to kill it from running in the background.

Safari Download Manager:
A really good download manager for safari on your iPhone.

This one was great, when you clicked on a number is “Asked if you wanted to call it”.  Without SIRI this made sure you didn’t tap the wrong contact (while driving) and automatically start dialing.

This add-on lets you add an extra contact field of your choice to be shown when you are receiving a call , e.g. Job Title, Email, URL, Address or any other field of the contact that is calling you.

By far what I miss most, the ability to color code the mail based on what e-mail address it came in on.  I have 5 e-mail addressed setup on my iPhone, I loved to be able to see at a glance which emails are in my primary g-mail  account, work account or one of those “other” addresses I have setup over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment